Neotys Founder and CEO
« As organizations evolve towards DevOps to accelerate digital innovation and software quality, cloud and microservices infrastructure help them shorten development cycles, release faster. But, these technologies and the constant pressure to cut testing time pose real speed and reliability challenges.
With end-user experience so valuable to the bottom line, companies who solely focus on delivery speed will sacrifice quality early in the delivery pipeline, increasing technical debt later on. Performance engineering adoption expands the view and creates a competitive advantage. A « continuous » toolchain integration embrace promotes innovation to deliver on the user experience premise every time. »
Adopt a Performance Engineering Approach for DevOps
Joachim Herschmann – Research Director Application Development & Integration
Application leaders must reduce technical debt and mitigate application performance risks. They should adopt a combined « shift left » and « shift right » performance engineering approach to build a highly productive software development organization.
- IT organizations struggle to meet businesses’ application performance expectations, particularly for application speed, scalability and quality.
- The underlying cause for many performance issues can be tracked to flaws in the architecture, but fixing such architectural design issues is very difficult and comes at a high cost.
- Performance-related challenges cannot be solved by performance testing alone as it will not take into account real user experience.
The Neotys vision
Continuous Performance Testing Integrated into the DevOps Toolchain
A successful performance engineering approach for DevOps relies on three simple pillars: people, process, and technology. A performance testing platform for DevOps should enable the most reliable assessment of an application’s performance and support an organization’s operations concerning test automation, team collaboration, and integration with the DevOps toolchain.
Continuous Performance Testing
A performance testing platform should empower teams to validate the performance of their code from right from
initial component/API delivery (“shift left”) to system-wide end to end pre-prod load and testing in production.
Integration into the Toolchain
A performance testing platform supporting a performance engineering approach has to integrate into the toolchain seamlessly.
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery servers permit test automation as part of global SDLC automation
- Other integrations such as version control systems, functional testing, and performance monitoring solutions result in better team collaboration and feedback